We had a well-attended meeting, both in-person and via Zoom, on 6 September 2021. Pippa is currently a Local Councillor for South Cambridgeshire District Council and is Chair of the Planning Committee and Climate Change and Environment Committee. She is also a member of the National Policy Board for Environment, Housing and Transport for Local Government; and is Lead for a national Cross Party Task Force on Climate Change for all Local Government. This group is meeting with ministers in the run up to COP 26.
Pippa gave a fascinating talk and answered questions afterwards. Here are the headings by which she structured her talk:
- The Urgency of Response Needed – Just got More Urgent
- LGA cross-party national Climate Change Task Force: the “ask” of Ministers in the run-up to COP 26
- There’s a Biodiversity Crisis, Too
- What can we do locally at a Local Government level?
- What can we do locally at Community Level?
Claire has prepared some excellent notes, which you can read here. Even better, you can watch a recording here (it’s just under 50 minutes long). Well worth the watch! (Note: the recording does not include the Q and A session, but it is covered in the written notes.)
Many thanks to Pippa, and good luck in her campaigns for action on climate change.